History of Lions
History Of Lions In 1917, a Chicago insurance agent named Melvin Jones convinced his luncheon club, the Business Circle of Chicago, that it should ally itself with other independent clubs to form a national organisation that would be dedicated not only to networking for business and social purposes, but to the improvement of the community as a whole.
Among the groups invited was the Association of Lions Clubs, headquartered in Evansville, Indiana and led by Dr. W.P. Woods.
At the time of the meeting, June 7, there were several Lions clubs already in existence, some having been organized in 1916. They were an outgrowth of a now-defunct fraternal organisation called the Royal Order of Lions.
The Business Circle and other clubs agreed to rally under the Lions name, and a convention was called for October at Dallas, Texas.
Thirty-six delegates representing 22 clubs from nine states heeded the call, approved the "Lions Clubs" designation, and elected Woods as the first president.
Guiding force and founder Jones was named acting secretary, thus beginning an association with Lions that ended only with his death in 1961.
The convention also began to define what the association was to become. A constitution and by-laws were adopted, the colours of purple and gold approved, and a start made on the Lions Clubs Objects and Code of Ethics.
Remarkably, considering the materialism of the era, both Objects and Ethics encouraged Lions to put service ahead of profit, and to uphold the highest standards of conduct in business and the professions.
Community leaders soon began to organize clubs throughout the United States. The association became "International" with the formation of a club in Windsor, Ontario, Canada in 1920. Clubs were later organized in Mexico, China and Cuba.
By 1927, membership stood at 60,000 in 1,183 clubs. In 1935, Panama became home to the first Central American club; the first club in South America was organized in Colombia the following year. Sweden, then France, brought Europe into the association in 1948. Japan had clubs by 1952, and Hungary, Poland and Estonia. In 1990, a club was chartered in Moscow and today over 100 Lions clubs are demonstrating the value of service in countries once closed to voluntary action.
The International Association of Lions Clubs is the world's largest and most effective community service organisation, with more than 1.35 million members. There are more than 40,000 Lions clubs in 206 countries and geographical areas. Regardless of what language they speak, religion they practice or politics they espouse, all Lions are dedicated to seeking out and helping those in need.
"WE SERVE" The official motto of the association is simply "We Serve".
What better way to explain our mission? "LIONS" The slogan is Liberty, Intelligence, Our Nation's Safety.
Official Colours The royal colours of purple and gold were selected as the official colours when the association was organised in 1917. Purple stands for loyalty to friends, and for integrity of mind and heart. Gold symbolises sincerity of purpose, liberality in judgment, purity in life, and generosity in mine, heart and purse to those in need.
The Lions Club of Tahmoor
Our Club was sponsored by the Lions Club of Campbelltown with a formation meeting held at the El Greco Hotel, Tahmoor (Now Tahmoor Inn).
On Friday 3rd March, 1972, our Club was presented with its Charter by the then District Governor, Norm Jarvis, at the Shire Hall, Picton.
At that dinner night, twenty-six new members became the Lions Club of Tahmoor. Charter Members were: Clive Mallory, Ted Hogan, George Poulos, Fred Chivers, Bill Bird, Jim Bird, George Barker, Ron Baker, Neville Crawford, Stan Cheetham, Les Goodwin, Lloyd Hans, Len Little, Brian Lowe, George Malcolm, Ray Meredith, John Potter, Trevor Purcell, Col Ryan, Jack Richards, Ross Smith, Jimmy Traynor, Barry Vormister, John Vrettos, Steve Vrettos, Joh Yuille.
Tahmoor Lions Club subsequently sponsored Tahmoor Lioness Club which was chartered on Friday 6th May 1983. Lion Keith Power (of Tahmoor Lions Club) was appointed as Lioness Liaison Officer for his Club.
Tahmoor Lioness Club was closed on 30th May 1989 due to the positions of office bearers not being filled by willing Lioness Members. At the time, Members of the Lions Club would not accept ladies into their Club and four ladies then transferred to Camden Lioness Club.
In due course, lack of membership growth in the Tahmoor Lions Club resulted in Members accepting ladies into its Club. The then Lioness Denise Mallory was the first lady to join Tahmoor Lions Club, followed by Lion Elaine Delaney, a transfer from the Lions Club of Malaysia.
Membership was further increased with several new members scouted by Lioness Frances McKinnon.
New Members included Frances McKinnon, Cecilia Whalan, Klara Armstrong, Werner Weber, and Margo Weber. This gave Tahmoor Lions further incentive to keep its Club membership open to service-minded men and women.
From 1989 to 2007 there existed two active Lions Clubs in the Wollondilly Shire. The other Club was our sister Club of Burragorang with whose Members we shared many projects and fun nights. With the demise of the Burragorang Club, in late 2006, we were fortunate enough to welcome four of their Members who transferred into our Club.
We continue their tradition of inter-club fun debates with a perpetual humorous trophy. Our Club remains strong with active Members dedicated to fundraising for and servicing the community.